Careers in Culture
Writing and Publishing
A career in writing and publishing is a rewarding one with many opportunities and challenges. Using quizzes and interactive tools, this site will lead you to discover:
- Whether a career in writing and publishing is right for you
- The skills you need to be a writer or publisher
- The multiple opportunities available in writing and publishing
- Tools and tips for getting your ideal job
If you have an interest in words and a creative mind, a career in writing and publishing could be for you.
Table of Contents
What You Need To Know
What You Need To Do
Words on the Move: Careers in Writing and Publishing
A classroom ready printable booklet.
You will find quizzes on a student's aptitudes and knowledge of the sector; articles and testimonials on career options and paths; and work search strategies including sample résumés and interview questions.
Has your love affair with the written word pushed you towards exploring a career as a writer? Do you look through your local library or bookstore and wonder why you can’t find a certain kind of book? Are you wondering how your writing talents might work best in today’s marketplace? In the universe of instant communication, writers are in demand, and publishing is crossing from print into many different electronic formats. Good writing and publishing skills and experience open doors to innumerable occupations. Some writers dream of penning the great Canadian novel, play or screenplay, but the vast majority make their living as journalists, freelance writers, technical writers or, working in publishing houses.
Words on the Move! Careers in Writing and Publishing is part of a series of online resources to help you research, plan and achieve your cultural career goals. The series was developed by the Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC), a national not for profit organization that represents artists and arts organizations across Canada in consultation with writers and those working in the publishing industry. Explore CHRC’s website to learn more about other careers in culture.
Section 1 – What You Need to Know
In the first section, “What You Need to Know”, we:
- Look at the various job opportunities available in writing and publishing.
- Help you determine if careers in writing and publishing might be in your future.
- Examine some of the things successful writers and publishing people have in common.
- Explore the future of writing and publishing and learning.
Section 2 – What You Need to Do
In the second section, “What You Need to Do”, we:
- Explore the various educational paths you should follow in order to make yourself marketable in a competitive writing and publishing field.
- Show you how to market yourself by creating great cover letters, effective résumés, and performing well in interviews.
- Provide you with a list of helpful links, so that when you are ready to pursue your exciting new career, you will have all the tools at your disposal.
Careers that begin with words
Magazines and Newspapers
Business and Government